Friday, September 18, 2009

The last few days....

The last few days have been crazy, much more than I thought they would be. Who knew that bringing home a little baby would be so much work? (I know, every mother is thinking, "yeah, coulda told you that")

Wednesday morning, we found out that E had a high biliruben count, which meant that he got to be under lights at the hospital. It was a good thing that I had been planning on being there Wednesday until Mike got off work, because he spent ALL day under the lights. The only time he was off them was when they brought him to me to feed. I tried going to the nursery in the morning to be with him, but it was too hard when he started to fuss and I couldn't pick him up.

By the evening, his counts had come down enough that we didn't need to have the lights, at that time, so home we came. We had to go back to the hospital by the next morning though to get another biliruben test, only to find out his counts had gone back up, and yes, he needed to be under the lights. So, yesterday and today, he has spent most of his time in this little suitcase looking contraption, vegging out under some blue lights. I hope this doesn't turn him into a sun worshiper later in life. While it has been hard to not just be able to sit and cuddle with my little guy (it has been really hard for Mike too) we know that it is worth it. We want him to be better, and to good news is that he gets to come off the lights! We just have to keep him on until tomorrow morning.

This little guy has his days and nights mixed up. He is up every 2 hours to eat in the night, and thinks he can go 3-4 hours at a stretch during the day. This does not bode well for the amount of sleep that mommy gets. I find myself waking him up during the day to eat, and hoping that he will sleep just a bit longer between feedings at night. I find myself falling asleep if I am put on hold during a phone call, and wouldn't be surprised if soon, I couldn't tell you up from down, yet, I have to say, this is the best thing I have ever done in my life. I am enjoying every minute of it, and have even found myself praying for a poopy diaper (weird, I know, but it worked and he had one.) The things you find yourself wanting as a new mom, just to make sure that everything is working as it should.

Gosh, I love being a mom. I love sitting and cuddling with my little guy, watching him gaze up at me with his big eyes. I love feeling how soft his hair is. I love feeling how soft his skin is, and watching his fingers curl around mine. I love watching his daddy melt whenever he holds him and know that he already has his daddy wrapped around his little finger. Yeah, being a mom is fun.

Momma loves me, this I know.

Chillin' with mom.
Escaping the hospital!

What is the deal, why are we still here?
Just hanging out under the lights.

7 comments:

HBC said...

Congratulations!! He is so adorable!

Christensen family said...

Seriously guys he is SOOOOO cute. I can't wait to see him in person. :) The tiredness of a new mom is exhausting, but like you said it is worth it. It will get better, I promise. I'm just so excited for your little family!

Lindsey said...

I love all of his hair! He is so cute!!! Congratulations and hopefully you'll get a little more sleep at night!!!!

The Broderick Bulletin said...

Where did the newborn go? I swear he doesnt look much like a neborn baby.

Logan said...

He is such a sweet little guy! I hope everything is going well and that you are enjoying mommyhood! :)

The Barton Bunch said...

Being a mother is amazing and I promise it will only get better! I am so happy for you guys and glad he is happy and healthy now. :) Congrats again!

Rachel Murray said...

congrats on the baby!! He is a handsome guy.