Thursday, October 9, 2008

I have been remiss

On September 27th, I received the wonderful opportunity to go to Women's Conference in person, and I have not yet written about it! It is amazing how time flies.

I had the opportunity to get tickets through my stake, but didn't need to as Rosie also got some tickets. Rosie, Kimber and I all made the trek up to Salt Lake City to enjoy this wonderful experience. I have to admit, I am not the most faithful Women's Conference attender, which is much to my detriment, because I always learn when I do attend. I absolutely could not pass up the opportunity to attend in person rather than watching it via satellite.

As many women converged on Salt Lake City to attend Women's Conference, it took a little bit of time to park and make our way to the conference center, but it was well worth it. Our tickets were for the balcony area, which is where I get to sit anytime I have been to the Conference Center; however, as the three of us were making our way to the stairs to start up, one of the ushers stopped us. He said, "Oh no, don't go up there, go sit in on the main floor."

Are you serious? That is cool! We were late enough that when we walked in, President Monson, our prophet, was in the process of taking his seat, so everybody was standing. Unfortunately, because we were trying to get our seats also, we could not stop and enjoy this portion. We made our way the the side and found some seats that were much closer than we had anticipated.

The speakers were amazing. We were reminded that, although the Relief Society is doing amazing things, we are just getting started. We have this amazing responsibility that we cannot forget, to help bring the world comfort and to help spread the knowledge of the gospel. The talk though, that had the most impact on me was President Uchtdorf. He reminded us, in a very simple way, that we are not perfect and we should not expect perfection in all our doings. How amazing is this? He also reminded us that if we make it our goal to spread sunshine to those around us, we cannot help but be happy also. These are some great reminders, "Scatter Sunshine."

I know it has been a couple of weeks, and I don't have my notes with me right now that I took, but these are the impressions that I remember and that I came away with. I am so thankful that we have leaders that can help guide us, to push us to be better, but to teach us not to be too harsh on ourselves.

2 comments:

Christensen family said...

That is cool you guys got to go too. My mom was in the choir, and all of us "scott Proctor" women were there as well. Too bad we didn't see you and Rosie.

Nicki said...

So this doesn't have anything to do with your subject, but what do you do? I'm tagging you! The instructions are over on my blog. Hope that everything is going ok with your homework! We only have a couple of days to finish Clark's stuff... AHHH!!! ;)