Monday, October 27, 2008

October

This year, instead of just the deer hunt, Mike & I also had the privilege of enjoying the Elk hunt. We went up into the mountains and about 20 minutes after we got the tent set up, it started raining, which it continued to do all weekend long. Wonderful for us, right? It got cold! On the other hand, it was absolutely beautiful. The trees were in their majestic fall colors. While we didn't get anything except elder berries, we got to enjoy the fall colors. Here are some of the favorites from the Elk Hunt. Mike on the hunt! Jake is normally afraid of the water, unless he is hunting water skeeters!Bocci Ball!Aren't the mountains beautiful?You have got to love these colors! More beautiful colors, but notice the aspen coming out of the pine tree!

A couple of weeks later, we again loaded up all of our gear and went to the mountains. This time, in search of deer. Instead of rain (or snow like we got last year,) we got beautiful weather! It did get cold at night, but we stayed very warm (thanks Mark for stoking the fire all night long!) I stayed through Sunday for the hunt, and then on Monday, I got this call, "Becky, you better find a freezer, because I got a deer!" I didn't believe Mike. First, I questioned that he got a deer (or even saw one as we didn't see hardly any bucks through the weekend, unless you count those in the backs of peoples trucks. Then, I questioned the "I got" for "You mean your dad got?" Mike's mom had to get on the phone to confirm that yes, indeed, Mike is the one that got a deer. Yeah Mike! Here are some shots.

Mike & his dad dragging the deer out of the woods. I guess this could be the proverbial hunter shot?

The best though, was when I learned that I got to be the one to take it to the butcher. Can we just say, butcher places stink! Just that smell of raw meat, kinda gross! Then, as I have never had the experience before of having a deer (or any animal for that matter) just chopped, let us just say that it was an interesting experience. Now, I get the opportunity to be introduced to deer meat, and as Mike, his mom, and his dad are all betting that I won't like it, I may just have to eat it with a smile (and really hope that it do find it tasty!)

1 comment:

-- said...

Wow Becky! You are a brave soul! It is so nice to know that you have a blog! I hope everything is going well :)