Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Discovery

I made a new discovery yesterday. It was pretty amazing, at least for me. You see, I have always hated grapefruit. I find it to be very bitter, which is not at all enjoyable to my lovely taste buds. I just don't enjoy bitter. Period. End of story. You get the point.

On my mission, I was introduced to Pummelos (a really big grapefuit that is really all peel.) Well, really, they called them gator heads on Yap. I was hesitant to try them, but found that they were good. They weren't bitter! I finally found a grapefruit that I could eat and enjoy, but alas, they prove to be very expensive here, especially when the islanders don't give them to you for free, eh?

Despite my newfound love, I have avoided all other grapefruit, fearing the bitterness. Well, on Tuesday, Darryl and Amy (friends from work) gave me a grapefruit. They had received a whole box and were sharing the wealth. It sat on my desk all day. I was very hesitant you see, to eat it. I brought it home in my bag to possibly share with Mike. It never left my bag and got taken back to work on Wednesday. Hmmm....what to do with this grapefruit. Well, I peeled it. I didn't stop at the peel though, I peeled each individual section, and guess what? It wasn't bitter anymore! It was scrumptious! I loved it! I will no longer be afraid of the bitter grapefruit, I just have to peel the whole entire thing, sections and all, taking off all of the bitter skin. You see? You should never be afraid of trying new things, or old things that you had decided a long time ago that it wasn't good. It was so delicious. I must thank you Darryl and Amy.

No comments: