Sunday, April 4, 2010

April Fool's Day and other things...

OK, is it totally lame that I went private and now I feel that nobody is reading my blog because nobody ever leaves comments? I know, if you go private, your readership goes down...I guess it means that it is true that I do this blog mostly for myself.

I always forget April Fool's day. I would love to remember it and every year, I think, "I need to remember that to try on someone next year," but then I forget. It always seems to surprise me, so I love hearing when somebody else is made the "fool." Here is my mom's experience.

She works in a doctors office. On Thursday, she was given a phone # to call and told to ask for Myra Mains. (Say it out loud if you have any questions.) She called.

"Hello Olphins" (for those of you who don't know, this is a funeral home)

"Yes, I need to speak to Myra Mains."

"There is nobody here by that name."

"No, this is P from (name of doctor's office) I was told this was the number where I could reach Myra Mains."

"No, I am sorry, there is nobody here by that name."

She then got off the phone, went up front and asked the receptionists if they were sure they had given her the correct number because there was nobody by the name of Myra Mains at the number she had called. They got her good. I wonder how many people called funeral homes on Thursday asking to speak to Myra Mains. The best part? My mom still didn't get it until everybody started laughing. So, hint, if you ever play Mad Gab, you want mom on the other team.

Today is Easter. It has been pretty laid back and relaxing. But, for Mike and I, Easter has really been happening all week. With Grandma Winnie dying, we had her funeral yesterday. Mike said to me, "You know, it is kinda cool that this is Easter weekend, and everybody is focusing on the resurrection of our Savior. At this same time, when it is so fresh, Grandma has her funeral." I think that it really helped to be able to remember the eternal perspective.

Grandma has died, but she is not gone. She is having a joyful reunion with her sweetheart. As Mike reminded me, she is also stretching and being able to move with her spirit in ways that her body hasn't allowed for many years.

Because of our Savior's sacrifice, we know that we will one day be reunited with our bodies. How great that at that time, grandma will be able to run and jump. It makes me so thankful to remember Alma's words that, "not a hair on our head will be lost." It is good to remember this all during Easter week. I should be better and remember it all year long. I guess that is why we have days to celebrate, so that we do remember.

1 comment:

Sarey1127 said...

Just so ya know I still read your blog but I know how you feel - I don't think anybody reads mine anymore either! Also I was sorry to hear of Grandma Winnie's passing. She was a great lady and I am sure the Proctors will all miss her terribly! Give them my love! -- Sara