Thursday, March 11, 2010

Teeth & Lost Phones

E now has 2 teeth. Yep, the little guy is getting too big way too fast! Here is how it went down.

Sunday night, E goes to bed way early, around 8:40 PM. Since he normally isn't ready for bed until 9 or 10, I was loving life. Around 10:30, he started to whimper, but it quickly stopped. Around 11:20, he started to cry. I figured it would stop quickly, as it had before, but instead, it quickly rose in crescendo until it was a scream.

One thing you should know about E, he doesn't scream unless he hurts, such as when he falls over and hits his head on our wood floor, narrowly missing the rug.

Not thinking anything about it, I decided he was hungry. I fed him a little, he fell back asleep. I laid him down in his crib, he woke up screaming. OK, he wants more to eat. I picked him up, fed him some more.

In the meantime, Mike had decided he was sleeping on the couch because he didn't feel good and just couldn't get comfortable in the bed. I decided that I could just leave E on the bed, set up some pillows to avoid rolling off, and laid E down. After about 5 minutes, he started screaming again. Have you ever seen a baby scream while still sleeping, or rather trying to sleep? So sad!

This proceeded to be the pattern until 1:30 AM. Fall asleep, wake up after 5-10 minutes screaming, comforted by mom, fall asleep. At wits end, wondering what was up with my little guy, I took his temperature. Trust me, E did not appreciate the thermometer held under his arm. I can't make myself do the rectal...even though I know it is WAY more accurate. His temp was a little higher than normal, so I gave him some baby Tylenol. In about 10 minutes, he was happy and smiling.

What the? That Tylenol did something. I started checking all around my now happy little guy. Because I just had my lamp on, I pulled out my flashlight and looked in his mouth. There was another tooth coming through! His poor gums looks so red and sore! I put a little Orajel on to help him sleep, and E, now being perfectly happy, decided to play until about 2:30 AM. I couldn't be happier, it was much better than him being miserable!

When he woke up at 7, it was to the screaming. This time, I knew what to look for. I didn't even have to touch his gums...I put my finger up to his lip and the screaming intensified. I quickly dosed him up again with both the Orajel and the Tylenol and he was again his happy little self. It ended up being a miserable 24 hours for him though. We thought, or rather hoped, he would be an easy teether since we had no idea the first tooth had come in. Our hopes have been crushed. Now, if he has this same pattern, I will know to check for new teeth first!

On Saturday, Mike & I went to Ikea. We just went for fun, to look around and make a wish list (a long far off wish list most likely.) We decided we needed pictures of our wish list items, so I pulled out my phone and started snapping away. We were just plain old having fun. Well, we get down to the basement and while standing in line to buy our new dish scrub brush, I couldn't find my phone. I grabbed Mike's and called to see if I could hear it. Nothing.

Crap.

What was I going to do?

I looked at Mike, told him I would find him and took off, retracing my steps. I had Mike's phone still and called, got voicemail, hung up, called again...over and over. I was getting frantic. Finally, somebody answered my phone, "Draper Ikea, this phone is lost..."

Yes! An answer, now to find it...upon inquiring, still a bit frantically, as to the whereabouts of my phone, I was directed to the employee lounge. I found Mike, found my phone, discovered I couldn't rejoin Mike through the same door as it was locked from the inside. Really? You have to have an employee badge to get onto the sales floor, but not into the employee area? Strange...but I reunited, and all was good. I had my phone.

I never knew I was so dependent on a phone before. What does that say about me? I would rather not know.

No comments: