Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thoughts

Last Sunday, our home teachers came. I love that we now have regular home teachers. In the 2 1/2 years we have lived in our ward, we were visited twice before our new home teachers. Anyway, back to their visit. The lesson was on our Celestial lineage. This started me thinking and I got a little worried. There is so much that I feel responsible for teaching E! After all, our Heavenly Father trusted this little guy to me and I need to raise him so he will be a well adjusted adult. I need to raise him so that he knows his Heavenly Father and Savior. It started to worry me a little, all this responsibility.

I voiced this concern to our home teachers. This is what they replied.

C - (Who has teenagers) Whenever I left my home, my mom would say, "Remember who you are and what you are to be." I hated it when I was growing up. Looking back though, I know by her saying this, it kept me out of trouble. It really made me remember.

M (who has a little baby himself) I haven't been worried about the responsiblity because of something Boyd K. Packer once said in a sealing he was performing. He asked the bride and groom what their responsibilities were going to be as parents. After a bit of discussion, he answered them. A mother's responsibility is to love and nurture her children. They should never not know that their mother loves them. A father's responsibility is to play and praise his children. If both parents do this, their children will grow up well. The gospel teaching moments will fall into place. Your children will be happy and well adjusted and will grow up knowing the things they need to know.

I loved these little thoughts! I have continued to think on them all week long. I have shared them here and there, but decided I needed to write them down so that I always have the record of them.

1 comment:

Sue's Kitchen said...

Becky
My mom used to say keep your nose clean. I always said to my kids that and The Lord will only give you what you can handle. It is amazing how the little things you were told as a child that helps you when you bring up your own little ones.