Friday, December 11, 2009

New Things

A week ago, Mike got laid off from work. Yeah...how excited are we? Not. Since then, he has become Mr. Mom and I was luckily able to get more hours at work. While it is hard to be away from my little E-guy (Big E as Mike calls him) it is necessary right now. Mike also gets the experience of becoming the sole caretaker during the day of a 3 month old.

Mike has learned that projects take longer to do and sometimes don't get done until somebody else comes home. He now gets the frustration I had when he would call me 3 hours before I went to work and give me a list of things he wanted me to accomplish. He gets how time consuming it is to take care of our little guy.

I have learned that I have to look in the diaper bag for things I never thought I would find in the diaper bag. Not diapers, or burp cloths, or toys. Nope, I have to get into the diaper bag to find Mike's tools. This is a conversation we had tonight.

"Honey, can you get my tape measure?"
"Sure, where is it?"
"In the diaper bag."
"Did I hear you right? Did you say the diaper bag?"
"Yes, the diaper bag."

Mike is learning how much fun taking care of our little E-guy is. I miss all the time we got to spend together before and now you may find me even more possessive of my little guy then I was before.

We hope that everybody is preparing to have a most wonderful Christmas. I personally am so grateful for this time to really remember and focus on the reason for the season. Isn't it so wonderful to remember that our Savior came to this earth for us? He died so that we can return to our Heavenly Father. I can't even tell you how excited I am to be able to create traditions with my little family that hopefully, our little E-guy will cherish and remember. I want him to grow up knowing that Christ is the focus of this time of year, not the presents we can get.

For me, I have already received the best present this year. I have my little E-guy. What a tremendous responsibility my Heavenly Father has entrusted me with. Yet, it is a responsibility that is full of joy. I love my little family.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Mike's job loss. That's awful and so close to Christmas. I hope your holidays were great.