Sunday, March 15, 2009

We have been had...

Mike's family all enjoyed a little joke they played on us. I am glad they enjoyed it. At the same time, I am glad it was a joke, although I was seriously looking at other options.

Here is the joke...

I have always wanted to have a little boy named Jack, after my grandpa. He was an amazing man. When my sister had her little boy (7 years ago) she gave him Jack as a middle name. I thought, OK, I can still use this name, it is OK, after all, it is only a middle name.

Then Mike and I got married and Mike's grandpa's name is also Jack. Perfect! I would not have to convince him to use the name! Yes! Then Amanda found out she was having a boy and was going to name her little one Jack. I had a little freak out, but decided, I could still use Jack as a middle name, if Mike and I ever had a boy.

Then, we found out we were pregnant. We were excited! While we both want a girl, we were looking for names for both and finally found the perfect one. Mike decided that he couldn't tell Amanda the rest of the boy name because he didn't want her to like it (after all, we both loved it) so it was kept a secret. Somebody slipped.

Amanda was told that Mike had a top secret name that she couldn't know about because she couldn't use it and they let her know what it was. So Amanda ran with it.

Last Sunday, we were all sitting around at Mark and Sue's house. We had just enjoyed a fantabulous dinner and were just chatting. Amanda is across the room and comments that she was still looking for a name to go with Jack (if anyone has suggestions, I am sure she will take them.) She commented that she had been on her friend's blog who had just posted about her little boy's birthday and he had a cool name that they were now thinking about. Hayden. My heart stopped. I shot a look at Mike. I didn't say anything.

I told Mike this, "I love the name Hayden Jack. But we didn't tell her that we were thinking of using it so we can't tell her she can't use it! But I love it!" Mike and I then started looking at other alternatives for names, just in case Amanda completely fell in love with the name Hayden and paired it in any way with her little Jack.

The family kept us in the dark for a week! Wow, at least they all had a fun laugh about it.

These are the names we are currently considering.

Aida Grace for a girl and Hayden Jack for a boy. At this time, they are the names we love, but they may change. We will let you know!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I NEVER knew you wanted the name Jack to begin with! Sorry about that, but there's no turning back for us now. First come, first served, I guess!

That was a pretty funny joke. Again, I had no idea the name Hayden was so important either, so I had no clue you'd been freaking out and stewing about it for so long! It was a better joke than even I knew!

Are you serious about Aida?

Peacocks said...

Okay just gotta tell you that picking the first name is always the funnest & I love both of the ones you have picked.

Kelli Proctor said...

congratulations! That is so awesome! Such a funny story though! DOnt worry everyone else named their kid Jack too! He is one popular guy I have to say! We even have a Jackson, but we mostly call him Jack. Its a good name! Hayden is super cute! Good luck!