Thursday, February 7, 2008

It's about time

There have been a few things I have been putting off, mainly because I didn't want to face them, namely taking the ACT so that I can apply for the education program. Well, Mike has been watching me stress about this test for the last couple of months, taking pre-tests, studying and such and finally got tired of it. He said to me on Sunday, "Honey, I challenge you to do whatever it is you need to do to take the ACT this week." How could I pass a challenge like that? Really, all I needed to do was register and I was putting it off because I didn't think I was going to pass the math. Really, it was kinda scary for me, Math is one of those horrid subjects, one that I don't do well in at all.

So, I looked up on the UVSC website, found out that the test is given every Thursday at 8:30 in the AM, signed myself up, called in sick to work and took the test. After I opened the testing booklet and started the English portion, I had the thought..."too late to turn back now" and continued on. The English, Reading and Science weren't too bad, and all of my praying must have really helped (which was a constant during the entire test and the time leading up to it) because the Math didn't seem to be too bad either. Either the math portion on the ACT is all of a sudden stuck in my brain (with a lot of help from above) or it is WAY easier than the preparation book that I had been studying out of. I think that it is probably more of the help from above.

Anyway, the test ended (almost 4 hours later and a very sore rear end) and I passed my answer sheet in. One of the nice things about UVSC is they give you your scores in about 5 minutes. So, I sat and very anxiously waited for those 5 minutes to pass and then I got my scores. To apply for the education program, you need to get an overall score of 23 with no lower than 18 in any subject. This was very worrying for me as I had gotten an 13 score on the math pretest. Well, she handed out the papers with our score and I got a 20 in math (Yes I was so excited!) with an overall score of 26. I really didn't believe the score and went back into the room to ask if I was reading it right. I was and I skipped out to the car and excitedly called Mike!

I am glad for the challenge that Mike gave me because all I was doing was worrying and fretting about it and now it is done. Yes, a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. It seems so easy from here on out (I know it isn't, but please let me enjoy at least a day of thinking it is.)

So, Goodnight to all. I hope you all have some very exciting news to share also, like Miles learning how to roll over!

5 comments:

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

congrats! You better do something a-mazing this weekend! :) I'll be waiting for a report on Monday

Erica said...

Congratulations on passing the ACT! That is a big accomplishment! I bet it is nice to have that all behind you now! Good job: )

Lindsey said...

Hey congrats! I hated taking that test!!! You did great!

Rosie said...

Becky the ACT wasn't just easier its because your really are good at math. You could have done it without the studying! GREAT JOB!

The Barton Bunch said...

Congrats Becky! Sounds like all is well in your world. Oh and Hagen's burns are doing a lot better... thanks for the concern!