Sunday, November 9, 2008

Primary Program

Today was our ward's Primary program. This is a day that I missed when I was in singles wards. It started differently. Mike & I walked into sacrament meeting about 5 minutes early, and there were no seats, except on the front row. All the primary kids were sitting in their classes in the overflow and the rest of the chapel was just packed. So, the back row joes became the front row joes.

When the program started, I kept expecting the kids to come up to the front of the chapel to sit on the stand, but they didn't. Instead, the music director came up, had the kids rise and they started singing, Armies of Heleman. "OK," I thoght, "this is a little different. I have never been in a program before where the kids all sit behind the congregation." Then, all of a sudden, the kids started filing to the front of the room and up onto the stand, all the while singing. I cannot even tell you how powerful this was. I, being the boob that I am, started crying. I just kept thinking that these kids are the future, both of the world and our church. Here they are, marching and singing, a strong army for our Heavenly Father.

The kids in the program were just adorable. I loved the younger kids who got up and had forgotten their parts and kept leaning over to be reminded. I loved it when they remembered their parts, and stated so surely their simple testimonies of the gospel, the Temple, and the prophet. I loved when they sang Scripture Power and were so enthusiastic about thrusting their scriptures into the air as they sang of the power the scriptures hold inside.

Seriously, I love the Primary program. I love the refreshing, simple testimonies that are born. I especially love watching these cute children as they sing and get up to waive at their parents and families that are there watching them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The primary program is my FAVORITE! i do miss it. it's guaranteed entertainment! Haha Reading your blog brought back great memories of the kids that wave, talk/sing extra (EXTRA EXTRA) loud, slide through the seats on the stand, color on themselves while they wait...

btw thanks for helping me with my blog settings :)

Logan said...

I love the Primary Program. It's probably my favorite Sacrament meeting of the year! I watched my brother's a few weeks ago and was reminded of how awesome the little kids are! They are so sweet!

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

Awe... don't worry, Becky. I totally would have cried too :) I love working with the primary kids. Jared and I teach a moonbeams class. --it helps nursery aged kids transition into primary... and they say the cutest things sometimes. Hey- have you seen the twilight movie??