Sunday, November 11, 2007

Free, fun date ideas

Mike and I have discovered a new wonderful thing to do, best of all, it is free! All it requires is the gas it takes you to get to Wal-mart.

Tuesday night, Mike and I went to Wal-Mart. Mike had heard that they had their Christmas section up, so of course, we had to stop by. As we were walking up all the isles, Mike found something that he liked. I didn't like it and let him know, so of course, Mike gets all set on getting it. Into the cart it goes and we continue our mean
dering ways around Wal-Mart. The entire time, I am trying to think up either excuses why we couldn't make our purchase, or trying to convince myself that I could be a good wife and let Mike get it and put it where he wanted. If you want to see what this was, take a look.

You can imagine why Mike likes it, it has to do with the outdoors and hunting. So, we are finally standing in the checkout line, waiting to make our purchases. I decide to make one final attempt to get Mike to give up the wonderful antler wreath...I point out some very large icicle ornaments that Mike had picked up and said, "You can get one or the other, but not both." "Nope, I am going to get both, because I want both." Hmmm...this was going to be more difficult than I thought. So I decided to take the straight approach. "Mike, I just really don't like that wreath." "Well, too bad, I do. You married me so I am going to buy it." One last chance. "OK Mike, you can get the wreath if I can get my star for the top of the Christmas tree." (Mike has this idea that the only thing that can go on top of a tree is an angel, I have never put an angel on top of my tree...) Mike takes the wreath and puts it off to the side of the checkout line, he is that against a star!

As I am laughing at how badly Mike doesn't want a star, the guy in the line behind us pipes up..."That is a nice wreath you know...it lets you know a man lives here..." At this point, Mike is laughing and responded, "What, the two trucks in the driveway don't say that enough?" As they continue talking up the merits of the wreath, the guy in the line behind us then gets the guys behind him in on talking up the benefits of the wreath, all trying to convince me that we should get it. I see behind all these guys who are outnumbering me two women. In desperation, I took the wreath to them and asked them, "Excuse me, we are having a debate and I was wondering if you could tell me if you would buy this wreath to put in your home?" The older of the women looks at the wreath and very hesitantly says, "Yes, it is a very nice wreath," at which point Mike is ecstatic that a woman is joining in on the merits of the debate on his side. After pointing out to him that the answer was given very hesitantly, the woman responds, "I am from Washington state so that means I have no taste anyway."

At this point, we have the entire checkout line debating back and forth about the merits of this wreath. When it is our turn to checkout, the cashier commented that we were having too much fun in Wal-Mart at that time of night. She then proceeded to say that as a hunter, she would buy the wreath and use it. At this point, I have finally accepted that I am definitely outnumbered on the opinion of the wreath, but we are still not getting it as Mike doesn't want a star. We finish our checkout and as we are leaving we notice a young man and an older woman standing at the front of the store. The young man comes up to us and says, "I just wanted you to know that I have a freezer full of venison and I would not buy that wreath!" Finally! I had somebody who agreed with me! With that, Mike and I left Wal-Mart thinking that we had just spent ond of the most fun hours of the week.

So, the idea for the free, fun date is go to Wal-Mart, pick up something that is hideously ugly and debate the merits back and forth. See if you can get the people around you in line to join in. It was totally fun.

No comments: